A little background...

Based on some recent suggestions from readers, I thought I'd share some of my personal background with you. I started this business 5 years ago after my second daughter, Ella was born. I had spent many years in "corporate America" and just couldn't find the right balance between my career and the family life I wanted for us. So, after some convincing from several close friends, I started Madellas. Named after our 2 girls, Madison and Ella. Madison is my oldest and is just finishing 1st grade and dear little Ella is going to Kindergarten next fall.

I have a studio in my home filled with fabric books, trims, and catalogs galore! I also have a workroom where I create my window treatment designs. I belong to the WCAA, Window Coverings Association of America. This organization has been an incredible resource for Madellas and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be where I am now without the help and guidance of the WCAA. I am also a student member of ASID. I love our Maryland chapter. We have monthly lunch and learn sessions at different industry partners....there is always something new to learn.

I always knew I wanted to own a business one day, I just didn't know WHAT business. Looking back I probably could have figured it out sooner. When I was little, I used to change the furniture around in my room all the time. When my parents would take me to their friends homes, I would sit and imagine what their homes would look like if I moved their furniture around.

Thing haven't changed much....last summer my in-laws rented a house for a week in Ocean Isle, North Carolina. The house was lovely, but the furniture placement in the living room was terrible. I lived with it for the first day and by the second day, my mother-in-law and I were moving the sofas around after everyone else went to bed. There were instructions not to move the furniture around, but I couldn't help myself. We left it that way for the week and then changed it back right before we left. We're renting that same house this year and I'm pretty sure moving those sofas will be our first task before we open a bottle of wine and enjoy the ocean view!

So here I am 6 years later...I figured out what I want to be "when I grow up" and I love what I do for a living. And this blogging is new to me....I'm giving it a shot and hope it will create some good dialogue for us!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Lisa! I believe everyone can set a beautiful table no matter what their level of design ability or their budget...it's just a matter of learning how!
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete