The Fall Ritual


It's that time of year again. The warm days of summer are officially over and the cold days of fall take over. For our family, that means I have the dreaded task of switching out all the summer clothing in our closets and drawers for winter wear. I hate this grueling task because I have to do it for Madi, Ella and myself. I don't seem to mind it so much in the spring when I'm pulling out flip flops and bathing suit tops knowing we are only a few weeks away from vacation at the beach. But in the fall, its not fun. The kids try on all the clothes I've put away the year before just to be absolutely sure I can't squeeze one more year out of them. They both complain the entire time as I pull sweaters over their heads and try to convince them they not only fit, but look great too. I typically loose that battle. Despite the fact that I really don't like the whole clothing transition, it forces me to clean out closets and drawers. This is a good opportunity to edit clothing that doesn't fit or is out of style.

I try to teach my clients the art of editing. You can't decorate a space until it has been cleaned, cleared and organized. That task is more difficult for some of us as we tend to hang on to items. This year when you are pulling out your cold weather clothes, pay attention to each piece. If you didn't wear it last season, you won't wear it this one.....let it go and give it to someone who needs it. The same rule applies for your summer pieces, before you even pack them away for next year, think about how many times you wore it this season.

And while your at it, take a look at the inside of the closet. Are there other items that can be donated? Clean it out and then consider painting it; give it a fresh look. There is no reason for your closet to be white. If it is a walk-in closet, think about installing a nice looking light fixture instead of the standard boring ceiling mounted globe.

Yes, it is true I always wait until the last minute to move the clothes, but I always feel so much better about the closets and drawers once its finished!

If you are ambitious enough to decorate inside your closet, please send pictures. I'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment