Good Reads

I've recently RE-discovered my local library. It is such a great resource and one I had forgotten. I found a great design book called domino written by the editors of domino magazine. Lots of useful design ideas and good pictures.
While I'm at it, thought I'd share a few other resources. The jury is still out on this book, but I started it last night and found a great tip I thought I'd share from the author.

It is called the golden rectangle. The the basic principle is that a rectangle in perfect proportion is visually pleasing. It is simply a rectangle that can be broken down into a square and another rectangle. The key is in the proportions. The formula is fairly simple, if you know the width of something and want to figure out the perfect length, you would multiply the width by 1.5. For example, if you are trying to figure out the perfect proportions for a coffee table and you know the width should be 36", the length would be 36x1.5=54. The perfect visually appealing size of the coffee table would be 36"x54".

I'm still at the beginning of this book so I'll let you know what I think about the rest when I'm finished. I did notice on Amazon.com, there were several readers who were disappointed, but I think most of them were more interested in seeing pictures. There aren't a lot of pictures, but so far, I think it is filled with some good information.

And it wouldn't be fair if I didn't include in my "good reads" my favorite magazines. These are my top 2:
I LOVE Southern Living magazine. I look forward to it every month. It is always filled with beautiful rooms, great decorating tips and the BEST recipes. Over the years I've had lots of magazine subscriptions and this is one I renew every year!

Architectural Digest is another "must have". Although the homes shown in this magazine are typically part of my dream world, the designs are worth studying. And I do mean study. The more you look through these magazines, the more you can learn about design. Don't just look at the pictures to see if you like the rooms or the colors. When you really study how the rooms are put together, you can see how the designers utilized rules of proportion and balance and how they bring harmony to the spaces.

What are your top reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment