Holiday Table

When I was a little girl, my Gram always made the holidays magical. It didn't matter whether it was Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving or a birthday, Gram went all out. At Christmas, she turned her home into her own version of the North Pole. Animated dolls adorned the mantel along with carousel horses and twinkle lights in every color imaginable. But what I liked the best were her holiday tables. A beautiful tablecloth served as the backdrop to china that matched the holiday. If it was Christmas, there was a red ceramic pitcher of old St. Nick himself filled with freshly squeezed orange juice. In addition to the wonderful food, there were tiny trinkets hidden among the candles, bowls of sweets and sparkling glasses.

A few years ago her brother hand made a sled for our daughter. Each year, I unload the sled with all the other holiday decorations and the girls pull their dolls around it until Christmas. This year, I decided to use it as the centerpiece on our dining room table. Although this table doesn't come close to what Gram could put together, it reminds me of the wonderful childhood memories she created.

No comments:

Post a Comment