"Let it go, let it go....."



"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
-Leonardo da Vinci


I posted that quote on my Madella's Facebook page last week and I love the quote and its meaning, but here's what I really wanted to say,

"Spring is here and its time to clean up all the shit you've been collecting all winter (or maybe all your life)." I'm serious.  Clean it up, empty it out, give it away, just get it out of your home so you can free up some space.  Trust me, I know it is really easy to accumulate stuff, especially if you have kids.  I thought we had been doing a fairly decent job of keeping things clutter free around here, but lately my office (that's right, not the kids bedrooms or their playroom, but my office) has gotten way out of hand.  And the thing is, I can't function when my office is messy.  It almost feels like I'm choking.   I've been living with it this way for several months.  I could give you a million reasons why I didn't just take the time and clear it out, but the fact is I just didn't do it.  Last week, I was making some drapes for a client and was listening to one of my audiobooks (yep, that's how I spend my time in the workroom, I listen to books.  If you get your window treatments back from me REALLY fast, it probably means I was listening to a rockin' book.)  Last weeks book was called Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston.  Don't ask me what on earth made me decide to listen to this one, but I'm really glad I did.

How can you tell if the "stuff" you have is clutter?  There are 4 categories of clutter says Kingston.

                                     1. Things you do not use or love
                                     2. Things that are untidy or disorganized
                                     3. Too many things in too small a space
                                     4.  Anything Unfinished


Getting rid of clutter can seem extremely overwhelming, but if you start off small, the job can be manageable. For my office, I started with the floor.  I picked up all 3 of my briefcases, fabric books, Charlie's bone that I stub my toe on EVERY SINGLE day.  Then I moved to the bookshelves and finally, the dark horse in the room...my desk.  It took me an entire day, but I put on some happy music, lit a candle, had about 16 cups of coffee and tackled the beast.  I am writing this right now sitting at a paper free desk, looking out my window at the daffodils in the front yard (I couldn't even see out the window a week ago because there was a table in the way).  

I can't even tell you how good it feels to walk into my office in the morning. There must be some truth in the fact that freeing up space and getting rid of clutter helps the energy in the room.  After my office, I did so major damage to my closet and bedroom.  (The kids are hiding in their rooms.)

Kingstons book opened my eyes to a new way of defining clutter.  I was holding onto a ton of stuff that I was saving "for some day".  When I realized I didn't need to save those things, it was so much easier to let them go.  You know what's really bad?  I can't even tell you what was in the bags we gave to the Multiple Sclerosis society last week.  

I love #1, Things you do not use or love.  I have made a commitment to our family that I will not bring ANYTHING into this house that I do not use or love and that means I still have a whole lot of stuff to get rid of before one more item comes in the door.

The coolest thing about de-cluttering your space?  You might find you love your home a little more.

Read the book, but don't buy a hard copy, get it from the library or listen to it on audio.  It will help kick start your clutter clearing process.



"Let it go, let it go" (seriously if I hear that song one more time, I'm going to poke my eyes out, but it was an appropriate ending to this post),

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the advise...and I'm really glad you didn't poke your eyes out! Now if I can only find my Kindle....I know it's in here somewhere...

    ReplyDelete